- 4 cups chopped root vegetables and/or winter squash, white and light green parts of one bunch of scallions, sliced. (Turnips, and butternut squash work great.)
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 4-pound chicken
- 1 tbsp melted ghee or avocado oil
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2-3 lemons or limes, halved
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Put the chopped vegetables in a lightly greased cast iron skillet and top with the sliced white and light green scallions, reserving the darker green parts for the pesto.
- Mix the melted ghee, sea salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Remove the giblets from the chicken. Rub the seasoned ghee all over the chicken. Stuff the halved lemons inside the cavity. Tie the legs together with kitchen twine, place the chicken breast side up on top of the vegetables and tuck the wings underneath.
- Roast the chicken at 450 degrees for 15 minutes then reduce the heat to 400 degrees and continue to roast for 30-40 more minutes. Internal temp should be 165 degrees.
- Carefully transfer the chicken to a cutting board and let it rest for 10 minutes. If desired you may serve chicken and vegetables with pesto.