- 1 3/4 lbs ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup blanched almond flour
- 3/4 tsp fine grain sea salt, divided
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning blend
- Crushed red pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley, optional
- 1-28 oz can crushed tomatoes with basil
- 1-14 oz can diced tomatoes with basil and garlic
- 1-6 oz can tomato paste
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh garlic
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- sea salt, to taste
- In a small bowl, mix together the almond flour, 1/2 tsp of the sea salt, onion and garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and crushed red pepper.
- In a large bowl, add the ground beef and sprinkle evenly with the remaining sea salt. Add the egg and almond flour mix (plus parsley if adding) and gently mix with your hands until the mixture binds and is evenly distributed.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat your broiler. Form the meat mixture into 20 meatballs and arrange on the baking sheet.
- Broil 2-4 minutes just to lightly brown and release a small amount of fat and remove promptly.
- Add the meatballs to the slow cooker. Top the meatballs with all sauce ingredients and give a gentle stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours, until meatballs are cooked through.