For the meatballs:
- 1 3/4 lbs ground beef 85% lean
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup blanched almond flour
- 3/4 tsp sea salt divided
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning blend
- generous pinch crushed red pepper adjust for spice preference
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley – optional
For the sauce:
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes with basil
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes with basil and garlic
- 1 – 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh garlic
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- sea salt to taste
- In a small bowl, mix together the almond flour, 1/2 tsp of the sea salt, onion and garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and crushed red pepper.
- In a large bowl, add the ground beef and sprinkle evenly with the remaining sea salt. Add the egg and almond flour mix (plus parsley if adding) and gently mix with your hands until the mixture binds and is evenly distributed. It’s important not to work the meat too much or it becomes tough.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat your broiler. Form the meat mixture into 20 meatballs and arrange them on the baking sheet.
- Broil 2-4 minutes just to lightly brown and release a small amount of fat and remove promptly.
- Add the meatballs to the slow cooker, leaving behind any rendered fat. Top the meatballs with all sauce ingredients and give a gentle stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours, until meatballs are cooked through.
- Serve when ready to eat with anything you want and garnish with your favorite fresh herbs.