- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 15-oz can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp mild chili powder
- 2-3 tsp kosher salt
- 1 32-oz box low sodium chicken stock
- 4 cups water
- 3 medium zucchinis, chopped
- 3 cups chopped dark leafy greens (such as kale or swiss chard)
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- Optional toppings: chopped cilantro, chopped scallions, sliced avocado, lime wedges, hot sauce
1. To a 6-quart slow cooker, add the onion, chicken, tomato sauce, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, salt, chicken stock, and water. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6, or until the chicken is cooked through and shreds easily with a fork.
2. Remove the chicken, shred it with two forks, then add back to the slow cooker along with the zucchini and greens. Cover and cook for an additional 30 minutes, until the zucchini and greens are tender.
3. Stir in the lime juice, then serve, topped with tomatoes and any other toppings you like.